Public Sector Equality Duty
The Equality Act 2010 requires schools to publish information that demonstrates that we have due regard for the need to:
Kilnhurst St Thomas' CE Primary School is an inclusive school committed to ensuring equality of provision throughout the school community. We focus on the well-being and progress of every child within an environment where all members of our community are of equal worth.
We believe that the Equality Act provides a framework to support our commitment to valuing diversity, tackling discrimination, promoting equality and fostering good relationships between people. It also ensures that we continue to tackle issues of disadvantage and underachievement of different groups.
Our Equality and Diversity Policy also highlights how our school has worked with and listened to the staff, pupils, parents and carers to inform development of action plans and the need and commitment required to ensure the scheme is a success. This is underpinned by a commitment to promoting positive relationships and understanding between all groups within our school community.
Our approach to equality is based on the following key principles:
1. All learners are of equal value
2. Differences are recognised and respected
3. Positive attitudes and relationships are fostered to create a shared sense of cohesion and belonging.
4. Good equality practices are maintained in staff recruitment, retention and development.
5. Reduction and removal of inequalities and barriers that already exist are paramount.
6. High expectations of all children are maintained.
In order to ensure that all pupils are protected from discrimination, the school collects information on protected characteristics as well as the following groups of pupils: